Wednesday 2 November 2011

I love that London can still hold surprises

I have been travelling in and out of London for more than 30 years and yet there are still parts that manage to surprise me. By chance, I had forgotten that Blackfriars station was shut, so I had to hurriedly exit the District Line tube at Temple and walk along to Southwark.

Suddenly, I came across this plaque on the Embankment.


It turns out that W T Stead was a well-respected journalist who created tabloid journalism in the 1890s. I love the fact that he almost certainly knew Oscar Wilde and would be so pleased to find proof that they had met.

Anyway, he died on Titanic, which is coming up for the centenary of its launch and demise in April next year. I'm so glad that I saw this and took a photograph of it. He sounds like an inspirational and interesting character.

No comments:

Post a Comment