Thursday 22 January 2015

Just do it

I am frequently frustrated by the language women use and how different - usually judgemental and non-motivational - it often is to that used by men.

We scupper our own chances of success by talking ourselves down. Even to ourselves.

The reason the Nike catchline 'Just do it' works is because it's verb-driven. Whatever it is you 'do', you should just get on with it.

Women frequently set goals using 'try' or 'attempt' or 'aim' at the root. I don't want to be sexist, but men don't try to do something. They just do it.

Many, many female traits are positive and are certainly as valuable within any environment as their male counterparts. But sometimes, they're self-defeating.

If you find yourself saying 'I think ...' too often, ask yourself if you're using that to give others permission to say 'I disagree'.

If that comes across as a bit of a rant, I apologise. I enjoy working with women. I enjoy working with men. Same thing, as far as I'm concerned, but I just wish women sometimes would just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment