Friday 8 July 2016

Booker T at London's Brooklyn Bowl

They say you should never meet your heroes but in the last year I've managed to see both Quincy Jones and Booker T Jones. They've both been instrumental (pun intended) in creating some of the music that's been most influential on me. There are a lot of people I'll never be able to hear speak or play, so I'm glad I got to see these two.

Booker T had a great band with him. All younger than him (and me) and the sound was incredible. His son was on guitar and there was a real bond between them that was both visible and audible. It looked as if the bass player was new to the band, but he kept up and there were lots of signals going between him and the drummer.

I'm not sure who's next on my 'Not to be missed' list and I'm disappointed I missed the chance to see Stevie Wonder on Sunday night, but that might have been pushing it and I'm not sure I want to see him on a big stage. The advantage of a venue like The Brooklyn Bowl is its club-like nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment