Monday 8 April 2019

Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen


I, like most people my age, grew up knowing little about Copenhagen apart from what Danny Kaye showed in the 1952 film Hans Christian Andersen. This weekend has been an education.

    Four days in Denmark’s capital has been a joy, not least because of the wall to wall sunshine. Apparently, it’s been raining in the UK.
    I’ve toured museums and art galleries, eaten in local restaurants and met some lovely people. I chose a more expensive hotel, so I could be right in the heart of the city, and it was worth every penny. Coming and going through the day was made a pleasure, with the Skt Petri’s staff and facilities always providing whatever I needed.
    While the UK continues to shamble towards the disaster that is Brexit (in case you weren’t clear where I stand on that whole issue), the Danes seem mildly amused by our chaos.
    If anything, this weekend reinforced my view that we’re better as part of Europe. We always will be, in my humble opinion. I might have to fill in more forms to come and go across the Channel, and it all might become more expensive, but it won’t stop me feeling part of something greater than our (albeit wonderful) little island.
    One of my favorite memories of Copenhagen will always be the boat trip, driven by Frank, who insisted on explaining to me why Brexit was a stupid idea, despite my making it clear from the outset that I agreed with him. Seeing the city from the water gave a fresh viewpoint, after two days spent on foot.


    This morning’s trip to the Botanical Gardens was a lovely, restful way to complete my trip. My camera contains more than 100 shots of plants and scenery. Getting closer to nature while still in the city centre gave more insight into everything Copenhagen has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment