Saturday 9 November 2019

Celebrating 35 years

Today is another significant day - when I saw the images of the Berlin Wall coming down 30 years ago, I had no idea what an important moment it would be in my own life.
    I had spent five years since graduating, travelling the world and had even settled down (for a few months) in Hong Kong. I'd just returned to London in autumn 1989 and thought I ought to get a 'proper' job. After staying with friends for a few weeks, I found a room in a flat in Little Venice, which I loved. I used to cycle across town, often leaving my bike chained to railings while I spent the night in Ronnie Scott's - emerging into the early morning light to cycle home.
    Temping as a secretary was fairly unfulfilling, but then I was offered a job working for the Producer of 'The Wall', Berlin 1990. I spent the next year working on the production, including follow-up work back in London. I got to know Berlin well. A fall on site led to a trip into East Berlin to a hospital - it was like going back in time 30 years.
    I've definitely had some fascinating times over the last 35 years since leaving university. As my children go out into their own version of the world, I'm proud of the work I do right now and glad that I've recovered from the various catastrophes that have tried - and failed - to bring me down, particularly in the last seven years.
    So, onwards and upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment