Wednesday 7 July 2021

The inspirational Ulysses Owens Jr

When I interviewed drummer and composer Ulysses Owens Jr, little did I know that he was about to return a call to an old friend of mine, the supremely talented trumpeter and band leader Guy Barker MBE. It's a small world.

    Ulysees's new big band album is out now on Outside In Music and you should definitely take a listen to it. I finish the podcast with an extract from the title track - Soul Conversations - but start with my favourite track from the album - John Coltrane's Giant Steps.

    The conversation also turned to Ulysses' work as an educator, and especially his  non-profit organisation, Don't Miss a Beat.

    Thanks to Ulysses for allowing me to play extracts from the album alongside our conversation.



No comments:

Post a Comment