Friday 6 December 2013

RIP Nelson Mandela

So the legend and the man have passed away. Nelson Mandela was truly an inspirational man who helped change the face of South Africa and the world.

In early 1990, I went to what was originally a 'Free Nelson Mandela' event and his release just before turned it into a celebration rather than a protest. I can remember none of the bands, but I can recall like it was yesterday the moment that Mandela appeared next to the stage. The cheering was immense and seemed to go on forever.

It was an amazing experience. Just to see the man who had been imprisoned so long for believing in equality. A few years earlier, I had travelled around South Africa and the signs were there of dire segregation. His long walk to freedom helped so many people and his footprint lies on so many lives.


Posted via my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment