Friday 14 November 2014

When is a pair not a pair?

I retrieved these two volumes of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary during a clear-out at the offices of AB. I have always thought of them as a pair and it was only when I looked closely at the spines that I realised they were different editions.





One of the books was published in 1959 and one in 1964, the year AB was founded.

I'm delighted to own these, to add to a ridiculous variety of dictionaries in my possession. My passion for words extends beyond their use in literature and to their definition.

I also have to declare a love of homophones. Perhaps that makes me a homophonephiliac. I should look that up.

So, if it's a pair of pears with its apostrophe, or their dog sitting over there where they're sitting, or even your dog who sits where you're sitting, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment