Wednesday 25 July 2018

When the inspiration leads to hard work

Inspiration is all very well, but if it doesn’t lead to either a change in behaviour or some pure hard work, it’s pointless.

Luckily for me, dear reader, last week’s inspiration has brought me to the point of actually writing. Writing the novel I started several years ago. Luckily, the inspiration gave me more than a kick in the proverbial pants - it also gave me ideas for how to get my novel finished.

And I have a plan. 2,000 words a day for the next couple of weeks should get it finished. First draft finished, that is. Then there’s a lot of checking, editing, re-reading and careful proof-reading.

Until it’s ready to go to an agent or two. There will be rejections. There will - certainly - be criticism. But the novel will be written and it will possibly be published.

In the meantime, I’ve done today’s 2,000 words, sitting in the Members’ Room at the British Library.


I was surprised that the bare bones of the story are clearly mapped out. I’d obviously done more of the preparatory work than I’d realised.

Now it's onwards towards the finish line. Working hard.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to read it, Hilary. Best of luck.

Hilary Robertson said...

Thanks, Alison. I'm determined to get the blessed thing finished now.

Post a Comment