Friday 15 February 2019

Rediscovering Ravel

Volunteering with Benslow Music Trust  is providing interesting and  immensely rewarding experiences.
    This week, it was a Friday evening of piano duets from Francesca Leonardi and Nigel Clayton. In between the possibly predictable Mozart and Brahms (they did, after all, write some of the best piano music for four hands) there was the delightful Mother Goose Suite by Ravel.

    The Ravel reminded me how much I loved his work when I was studying music at school and university. It also reminded me how little space there is between classical and jazz. The old adage - "There's only 12 notes" certainly holds true.
    Two pianists at one piano is an interesting feat - musically and visually. I've seen concerts before with two grand pianos on stage, and that's wholly different.
    Leonardi and Clayton performed beautifully and their encore of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody was inspired. I've only ever heard it as a solo piano piece before and it was a delight. So much so, that I wonder if it's time for me to rediscover my own piano playing?

No comments:

Post a Comment