Monday 25 March 2019

A weekend of pampering - without the potions

Not a fluffy robe in sight, I enjoyed a weekend of genuine me-time. Anyone who knows me in real life will know that appearance is one of the last things I consider - either in myself or in others. So me-time really is about soul-searching.
    Saturday was spent in the London offices of PwC, but the event was more about the individual than the corporate.
What a panel!
     Let’s talk about ‘M’ was all about focusing on the stuff that matters in life - mental health, men, marriage, mindset, money and mates. Led by a team of highly professional (and yet friendly) presenters and facilitators, the day asked some potent questions and led to some important insights.
Round table discussions were helpful and we even won prizes!
    The stories the presenters told were heart-felt and humorous. There was plenty of time for discussion around the table and across the room. It was a happy, productive environment that gave plenty of food for thought.


    Sunday (for me) gave way to an Afternoon of Conversation, with discussions led by the marvellous Wajeeha Amin, who had also been one of the co-organisers and presenters of Saturday’s event.
Wajeeha is an inspiration!
    Passing a box around the room for everyone to take a small, rolled-up piece of paper, Wajeeha stressed the discretion and informality of the event. The questions ranged from the simple to the complex and all were thought-provoking.
    At first glance, my own question was straight-forward and easy to answer. “What is not on your bucket list” was quickly answered with “jumping out of a plane or on the end of a bungee rope.” On later reflection, I realised the importance of the question to me. A few years ago, I didn’t think I had time for a bucket list. I certainly had no energy or will to go anywhere near a plane. An operation or four later, I did have a bucket list. And a determination to complete it.
    Actually, my bucket list is constantly evolving, but you get the picture. Asking me what is (or isn’t) on it opens a can of worms that encompasses gratitude and relief that I’ve been given time to tick some things off it.
    And so, this was a weekend of dropping stones into thought and watching the ripples spread. It’s been a week and I’m still considering my responses to some of the issues raised.
    And no, I wouldn’t have swapped it for a weekend at a spa.





No comments:

Post a Comment