Friday 15 March 2019

Developing skills

Science was scary at school. Despite having some great teachers, I never really allowed myself to enjoy Biology, Physics and Chemistry. It became easy to say "I'm rubbish at science".
    It came as a surprise, then, to find myself writing about science professionally, soon after leaving university. My father was working with a company called Quest International, who made flavours and fragrances to go into some of our best-known household products. I began writing for their in-house magazines, both internationally and locally around the UK. Truth be told, I blagged the science stuff.
    Now, I’m writing once again for the same business, which is part of Givaudan, with sites all around the world. I’ve been writing again, mainly for their fragrance division, and still knowing a lot more about words than I do about science.
    Which took me to my third course with FutureLearn. ‘Discovering Science: Science Writing’ was brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable.
   The course itself was accredited by the University of Leeds and covered topics that were familiar and some that were definitely new. I was pleased with my 96% average test score.
   The certificate was a great surprise and this feels like a major achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment