Wednesday 16 August 2023

Tania Giannouli 'Solo'

The latest episode of Harmonious World features a conversation with composer and pianist Tania Giannouli.

Tania's latest album - on Rattle Records from New Zealand - is called Solo and it's her first completely solo release. It's a beautiful collection of tracks composer and improvised by Tania. We spoke just a few weeks after I had visited her homeland of Greece and it brought back lots of memories for me, although the music itself is quintessentially international.

Thanks to Tania for allowing me to play extracts from Solo alongside our conversation. I chose  to open with Novelette, which perfectly sets the tone for the episode and is one of my favourite tracks on this delightful collection.

In the middle of the episode, I played a clip from Twin Star, with Same Dream at the end. Both of these evoke Tania' style and dexterity on the piano and with that perfect combination of composition and improvisation.

Just a few weeks ago, I spent time on Crete and then a day on Santorini and this album evokes those views and sounds, as well as the warmth of the Greek nation. There is something of Greek folk tunes about Tania's playing, although there is so much more. On these chilly August days in the UK, it's great to bring the sunshine in through this album.



No comments:

Post a Comment