Friday 28 October 2011

The value of networking

I am beginning to realise the true value of networking to my business and to myself.

Networking is something I really didn't have time for in my previous life as a writer. Nor the need - business seemed to come to me and it was easy once I had a couple of big contracts to just keep them going. The choice to then train as a teacher meant that simply making a couple of phone calls, lining up an interview and then applying for the Graduate Training Programme was all I had to do.

Networking for teachers usually turns into a negative competition of whose school is run by the most ineffective leadership team.

Since September, I have begun to make contact with more people. A wide variety of people. Not only has it helped me to forge connections that may help my business in the longer-term, but it has also - and probably most importantly - helped me to focus closely on what I am doing, how I'm going to make it happen and what the next steps are.

As the end of my second month as a freelancer approaches, my sense of direction has improved immeasurably.

No comments:

Post a Comment