Saturday 26 May 2012

The deciding factor

It didn't take long and I've made a decision which has been bubbling around in my head for several months. I'm not going to be part of a 'Style Council revival' band. I genuinely loved my time on stage, on tour and in the studio with Paul Weller. But that was then and this is now.

What made my mind up? Seeing Heaven 17 and others from the 80s live on stage at Hatfield Forum. It was fine. Everyone did what they needed to do and they'd obviously worked hard to get it right.

The trouble is, the 80s is 30 years ago. What we were doing then. we really shouldn't still be doing today. I don't want to repeat exactly what I did in 1983. I don't mind playing some of the same songs, but I want them to be different.

Truth is, I want to play in a band that plays original songs well. I know I won't make a fortune now (approaching 50), but that's still what I want to be doing. Anything else is just killing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment