Friday 25 May 2012

'Don't do that, or people will stop following you'

Someone said that to me today.

To be honest, I don't understand. Most writers I know are eclectic, both in input and output. They read a variety of books, newspapers and magazines and write on different subjects and for different media.

I am a little confused. Apart from anything else, if someone chooses to unfollow me because something I've written doesn't interest them, that's fine. Someone else will follow me because it DOES interest them.

Life and writing is not about fulfilling anyone else's needs, except myself and (probably) the person who's paying the bill. I do need to appeal to the audience, but that doesn't necessarily mean telling them what they want to hear all the time. Trying to please all the people, all the time, just doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment