Tuesday 26 May 2015

Inspiration in Soho

Soho has been an inspirational place for longer than I can remember. It always felt creative, even to a naive sax player, gigging around and hanging out backstage with friends in various West End shows.

Nights out in London used to always finish at Ronnie Scott's and they often started at one of the cafes where you could get great food cheap, away from the more touristy Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus.

I was never nervous of walking through the streets, although I did sometimes wonder who the girls were, standing around looking bored.

Soho was my first experience of bohemian in 1981 and I liked it, despite living in leafy Roehampton. Happy memories.

I have a feeling I'll be adding to those happy times as I've been checking out the schedule for SohoCreate.

SohoCreate CEO is Tom Harvey CBE, producer and entertainment guru. Chairman is advertising legend Sir John Hegarty. Between them, they've set up a series of performances, discussions, speeches, talks and informal events in offices, theatres, churches, art galleries and restaurants around the creative heartland of Soho.

The list of contributors is extraordinary. No other word for it.

If you didn't know how much creativity is buzzing around the streets of Soho, now's your chance to check it out. There are a couple of sessions on my list and this is a festival I definitely want to experience next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment